Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Ay Dios Mio! Papas Bravas!

Hello my Fellow Food Lovers,

I was in finals for the past four days. And as many of you know or remember, finals is hectic, stressful, you don't get enough sleep, and you start feeling a little cold coming on...

But just because you're in a rush, this doesn't mean your food has to go down in quality! Here's a reaalllly simple recipe that only takes about 35 minutes to make.

Papas bravas. I first had this on my abroad trip to Spain. Following the tapas tradition, papas bravas is just fried chorizo and potatoes that are usually eaten with some bread on the side.

Chorizo. For those of you who don't know what chorizo is, it is a spicy pork sausage, originating from Iberia, Spain. Chorizo tends to be a slightly different color from other sausages as an orangish-red color from the dried smoked red peppers it is blended with.

So. First, I boiled the potatoes until they were soft enough to take a bite. Then, I cut up some chorizo in small sections and threw them on the frying pan. Wait to do this when the potatoes are done boiling, as you're going to want to fry the potatoes and chorizo together (that is if the chorizo is already cooked. If not, read the label, cook the chorizo while the potatoes are boiling, and the timing should be good). Then, I mixed in olive oil, a fairly large slice of butter (a little over 2 tablespoons), and crushed red pepper flakes (like the kind you put on your pizza). Throw some salt and pepper in as well. Mix this all together in your pan at a medium to high heat. Lastly, following in my bacon obsession, I fried some bacon until it was very crispy and then cut it into small pieces and threw that in as well. Stir and serve. Voila! Easy as that.

*While the red pepper flakes are common for papas bravas, the bacon is not, but it added a wonderful flavor as well as a crispy texture in contrast to the soft potatoes and chorizo. Remember, a little bacon never hurt anyone!

I served my papas bravas with toasted english muffins, but if you have a really nice baguette or loaf of bread that would be wonderful as well. These are also great for potlucks and parties as something that fills people up quickly, so a little goes a long way!

Alright now go out and try, my little spaniards, you won't be disappointed!

As always,
Love & Doughnuts,

The Mrakulous Kitchen

1 comment: